The JCRA is a small organisation and because of our size, roles can vary when circumstances change and the skillset of our team is applied to a range of tasks. We recruit like-minded people who work and learn together to deliver high impact, quality outcomes for the people of Jersey.
Jersey has high-value micro-economies, and decisions made by JCRA can have material local economic impact. The JCRA’s activities and decisions are also highly visible and widely reported in the media. Details of the JCRA’s recent activities can be found at the JCRA website: www.jcra.je
If this role interests you, or you would like further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and send your CV to apply for this role.
Contract Type: Permanent, full-time. The JCRA do accommodate flexible working where possible.
30 days holiday, plus public holidays.
Reports to: The Authority has a collaborative matrix leadership approach with the Case Officer reporting to Senior Case Officers on a daily basis.
The Case Officer will also report to the CEO for the setting of overall objectives and performance reviews.
Location: 2nd Floor Salisbury House, 1 - 9 Union Street, St Helier, Jersey, JE2 3RF
Day to day reporting will be to the JCRA’s Senior Case Officers, the Case Officer is responsible for undertaking the JCRA’s work within the competition law and regulated sectors in Jersey. Supported by the CEO and Senior Case Officers and colleagues, the role involves leading projects and supporting senior case officers and other members of the team, as appropriate.
The work brings JCRA in contact with many stakeholders and its impact is quickly apparent.
As a Case Officer within the small organisation, the breadth of responsibilities is greater than for regulators in larger jurisdictions. Projects can require technical, economic, legal and communications skills and the Case Officer will be responsible for supporting the Authority and the teams in delivering projects on time and within budget.
Economic Policy and Competition
- Support the Senior Case Officers or lead with specific competition or sector specific cases or market studies.
- Collect data and support with investigations or reviews of individual markets, products and services, in cases when it is thought that there are competition or possible licence condition contraventions.
- Support or lead liaison with the appropriate government department in areas of legislation or policy development, providing support in accordance with agreed project deadlines.
- Lead or support with any public consultations.
Regulatory Cases, Requests and Responses
- Support or lead and deliver, on time and to a high quality, all specific case work on JCRA regulatory projects in:
- Competition, including mergers, acquisitions and market studies
- Port Operations
- Postal Services
- Develop a clear understanding of the diverse nature and subject matter of these different sector projects and drive all aspects of best practice regulation for the benefit of Jersey
The work could include, for example:
- Support or lead mergers and acquisitions
- Support or lead competition investigations
- Drafting of terms of reference for market studies
- Support or lead specific cases
- Undertake economic analysis
- Address competition complaints; public and business
- Address regulation complaints; public, licensees
- Drafting guidelines
- Drafting of agreements with consultants or government departments
- Support or lead and prepare consultations, publications, including board papers, regulatory decision notices. This will involve gaining a firm understanding of the legal and regulatory obligations of the Authority and being sensitive to the political environment within which JCRA operates.
- As a valued member of a small team, you will be expected to be flexible and undertake/participate or lead other case work.
- Present written work and presentations in a non-technical manner to help everyone understand the impact of the case work that is undertaken in this role. Act as a point of contact for specific case work for key stakeholders, including members of the public. Communicate effectively with high levels of direct stakeholder contact.
- Act as a first point of contact with various government departments
- Contribute towards raising the profile of the organisation by undertaking the necessary training and developing own contacts within Jersey and Channel Island organisations.
Qualifications / Requirements
- A relevant degree, either in law, economics or equivalent. In addition, it would be advantageous if the post holder has;
- Previous regulatory experience
- Experience in economic analytics
- Knowledge of systems and applications that can be used in project management
- Strong analytical skills to apply complex regulations to a variety of circumstances.
- Proven ability to work in a team
- Experience of running investigations or enquiries into issues or complaints and following this through to resolution
- A hands-on, can-do attitude.
- The ability to work under own initiative as well as within and alongside the rest of the team.
- The ability to manage workload autonomously and take ownership of a varied caseload, making considered decisions independently or escalating to the manager when appropriate.
- A high level of self-motivation and commitment.
- Strong planning and time management skills.
- Credible and professional communication with a range of stakeholders.
- The ability to balance competing priorities.
- The desire to continue personal development and identify areas for personal improvement and skill gaps.
- A high standard of integrity, impartiality, transparency and objectivity.
The JCRA was established under the Competition Regulatory Authority (Jersey) Law, 2001, the telecoms and postal sectors are regulated by the JCRA, which is also responsible for administering and enforcing the Competition (Jersey) Law 2005.
What can the JCRA offer the right candidate?
- flexible working
- making a difference
The JCRA Core Values
- Trusted and Independent
- Collaborative and Considerate
- Diverse and Inclusive
- Proactive and Evidence Based
To find out more about the roles at the JCRA and what it is like to work at the Authority, please watch this short video here, and contact us for further information.
If this role interests you, or you would like further information about the role, the Company, or what the JCRA can offer you, please email Vicky Barnes at email@example.com and send your CV to apply for this role. The closing date for applications is 22 April 2022.